Saturday, September 18, 2010

The Farm


This Summer we eagerly joined a local farm with a CSA program. It is called Honey Brook Organic Farm and it is located in the same town that we live in. Each Tuesday, since May, I have traveled to the beautiful farm, set against wooded hills, to pick up my produce. Spring harvest brought us lots of lettuce and greens. Summer brought tomatoes, peppers, basil, eggplants and squash. We also get herbs, some fruit and can pick flowers! Visit the farm's site to see all the produce and the harvest calendar.

Besides having a bounty of vegetables in the house I got to learn new recipes. I made sure to use up my produce each week, so I was determined to find ways to cook or use it. I learned how to make homemade tomato sauce and used that for pasta, eggplant Parmesan and even made chili with it. I finally made gazpacho which is a cold, Summer soup that my husband adores. I learned how to make a middle eastern dip called babaganoush with all of my eggplants. And, I made ratatouille. I also took a cooking class at Chamber's Walk and the chef highlighted recipes with the local, farm produce!

I am sure that all of the farm's gifts have kept us healthier this Summer. I know at the beginning of the season I was eating salads four times a week! We will be sure to join next season and have encouraged friends to do the same!

If friends are interested in joining I would recommend choosing the same picking days because going to the farm is truly an activity that could take the whole morning if you wish. There is not only the farm stand with veggies to pick up, but large fields of "pick your own." Some kids' toys and picnic tables are by the farm stand, so a picnic and play is also included.

We get to visit Honey Brook through the Fall until the frost. Then, we will hurry to join and eagerly await the Spring season again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'll immediately grab your rss feed as I can't in finԁing уour e-mail subѕсriрtion
linκ or newѕletter service. Do you have
any? Kindly ρeгmit me recognize so that I may subscrіbe.
Τhanks.

Looκ into my webpаgе; hcg diet phase 1
My web site - do hcg drops work